Counseling for New Moms
In 2013 I became a mom for the first time, and although it has been the most wonderful time of my life, it has also been the hardest thing I've ever done! My husband and I experienced sleepless nights, serious napping/sleeping issues, feeding concerns, and unexpected health concerns with our daughter. Thankfully, we have moved beyond most of the initial concerns, but we still struggle, and nothing is predictable. We have learned to be flexible, expect ups and downs, continue learning on a daily basis, and to trust our instincts and find what works for our family. We now have two daughters, and although things have gotten easier, we still struggle with adjusting to life as a family of four.
Because of my experience as a first-time mom, and learning to adjust to being a mom of two, I have become passionate about providing counseling for other first-time moms, dads, and parents who have more than one child. Although each parent's expereince is unique, I am committed to listening to your specific situation and providing you with a plan that works for your family, rather than a one-size fits all plan.
Some of the areas you may want to discuss include:
- Coping with the changes in your life after the birth of your baby (or additional child), such as less free time, isolation from friends and family, feeling as if no one can understand what you are going through, and going from "just us" to a family of three (or more)
- Parenting as a single mom (or dad)
- Feelings of sadness, postpartum depression, emotional ups and downs, and the "baby blues"
- Anxiety over the unpredictability of raising a baby
- Changes in the relationship with your partner
- Coping with sleepless nights
- Coping with sleep issues in your baby (short naps, baby sleeping through the night, helping baby fall asleep unassisted)
- Coping with health and/or feeding issues in your baby
- Learning to trust your instincts with what is right for your baby
- Learning to co-parent and allowing your partner to do things their way, even when it differs from how you do it
- Designing a schedule that works for your family
- Asking for advice from other moms/parents and integrating it in a way that works for your family
- Making time for self-care and leisure time
- Learning to be flexible and expect unpredictability in your baby
- Coping with changes in your body after the birth of your baby and lowered self-esteem
- Spending quality time with your partner
If you have or are experiencing any of the above concerns (or some that are not listed), please reach out for help and support, either from a counselor, trusted family member, or friend. I strongly believe that moms need other moms and dads need other dads for support and guidance; I have been through the tough times, and I have been able to see that it does get better and there is a way to work through the ups and downs and get back to a somewhat "normal" life with a baby. It is my goal to do whatever I can to support you, and to help you find what works for you, whether that be through individual or couples counseling. To schedule an appointment, please contact me at 407-252-3087.
Healing with Time LLC
540 E. Horatio Ave. Suite 200
Maitland, Fl 32751
Fl License MH10935
Couseling, grief counseling, anxiety counseling, adolescent counseling, and couples counseling for clients in these areas: Maitland, Orlando, Winter Park, Seminole County, Apopka, Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Fern Park, Heathrow, Lake Mary, Longwood, Oviedo, Sanford,Tuskawilla, Winter Park, Winter Springs, Osceola County